2017 Apr 24


We spent the weekend in Burlington, Vermont for one of my twins’ Accepted Students Weekend at Champlain College.  It is roughly 5 1/2 hours each way of driving to get there from the Bangor, Maine area, and a good portion of it is on roads that definitely take a beating during the cold New England winter months.  Although we upgraded this year back to a minivan from a CRV in order to have more room and be more comfortable on long road trips, the roads still took their toll on my current RSD/Fibro/Frozen Shoulder combination.  The drive, though, is normally something that is fairly quickly recoverable but on Friday the drive was followed by a reception on the campus for new students and their families that culminated in over two hours of mingling in a room with over 800 people.  The noise level was deafening, especially to those of us with hypersensitive hearing due to overactive nervous systems.  Excessive loud noise levels often bring about higher pain levels for us, and this was no exception.

Due to my current battle with my Frozen Shoulder, I have been sleeping in a recliner rather than a bed for several months now.  This makes sleep even more of a challenge when we are at hotels while traveling so on this trip I went out of my way to remember my “Zero Gravity” folding chair to sleep in with not having access to a recliner.  Unfortunately I soon realized that I had grabbed the wrong chair while packing, and had brought one of my mother-in-law’s lawn chairs instead.  This ended up keeping me up a large portion of both nights in the hotel, adding to the growing physical discomfort of the weekend…

The next day was a day of tours, and briefings, and more mingling with too many people.  Not that I’m a huge fan of this anyway, due to being an introvert from way back, but not recovering from Friday before going into Saturday left me feeling pretty beat up most of the day.  Yesterday, Sunday, we drove back to Bangor.  The weather was better so it was a beautiful drive with spectacular views of Mount Washington on our way across, but the route still featured many bone jarring sections of roads.

By the time we returned home, I sought the comfort of my couch and my heating pads for the rest of the night until turning in.  Today I have physical therapy on my shoulder at the VA, which lately has been quite painful.

It was a great weekend overall and it was nice to travel, but as always with these chronic illnesses, it comes with a cost.  Another day in the life of a “Spoonie”…

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s